Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Five prayers for my daughters....

There is something I've come to realize I need to guard against as a Mom. I sometimes want to be God in my girl's lives.

I want to write their stories
I want to set the course for their future
I want to determine what's best for them
I want to prevent them from ever being hurt
I want to be their protector and provider
And I want to be the one to set anyone straight who messes with them.

Despite the sleepless infant nights, toddler tantrums, soon to be tween eye rolling, and then teen/older decisions that could break my heart...they are mine. To love. To lead. To launch.

And I want to make it all good!

When things happen and will happen so beyond my control I eventually have to face the reality that I am not God. And I can not operate as if I am.

So, struggling with the gap where my Mommy capabilities end and trusting in God begins....when it comes to my girls, I want to trust God with everything beyond my control yet it is so scary.

So...how do I deepen my trust? How can I make peace with the limits of what I can and can not protect my girls from?

Pray

Simple as that! Prayer is the only possibility with real possibility. I pray that God will lead my girls down the path that he has chosen for them and they will lead a happy, healthy, fulfilled life.

Let her learn early in life that to obey You, God, is the best way to the life her heart truly desires. {1 Samuel 15:22}

May she find comfort in Your ability, God, to reach her, hold her and rescue her. {2 Samuel 22:17-18}

Let her find confidence in You, God, even when hard times come and she doesnt know what to do by keeping her eyes fixed on You. {2 Chronicles 20:12}

May she keep herself under control and not give full vent to people and situations that anger her. {Proverbs 29:11}

Let her walk in the security of Your assigned worth to her. Give her a strong work ethic and health to accomplish all her goals. Give her a heart that desires to extend her hand to those in need.  Protect her for the right husband, a man of respect and godly honor. And let her be a woman of joy and laughter whose Christ-centered character is what makes her most beautiful. {Proverbs 31}

I will still  fret and worry and want to mess with anyone who messes with my girls but I pray these prayers for them to have powerful and amazing things happen in their lives that are beyond my control.

And, I can hold strong knowing that my prayers today, though I may not see for years to come... but that is where prayer is the possibility with real possibility. And that brings me to the place where I can say...'Hello, my name is Mom, not God.'

No comments:

Post a Comment